Winter in Karoo sees the opportunity to settle down in front of a big log fire, enjoy delicious venison and sip red wine. Here is one of our favourites at Samara – Kudu Pot Pie.
KUDU POT PIE
- 1 kg kudu stewing meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp juniper berries
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup green peas
- 1⁄2cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (9 inch) prepared pastry dough
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly grease a 9-inch deep pie dish.
- Toss the meat in well seasoned flour
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium. Add venison and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, and garlic; cook until softened, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, peas, broth, and Bay leaves; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pie dish. Cover with prepared pastry dough and bake 20 to 25 minutes, until top is golden and juices are bubbly.
This dish is best enjoyed with good company! Bon Appétit!