Recipes are handed down from generation to generation, using only the freshest produce, creating comforting aromas and tastes that hark back to a simpler time. There is little more comforting than a home-cooked meal, especially at times when the whole family can enjoy it together.
Whether you’re spending Easter celebrating with family over a lunchtime feast, or chasing after children on their hunt for hidden treasure, we wanted to send a little bit of Karoo magic your way. This year our Karoo Kitchen will be serving up Easter eggs with a twist to start the day off right. Try something new and surprise your family with homemade vegetable fritters served with tasty poached egg for a healthy, hearty and delicious start to the weekend’s festivities.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 zucchini, coarsely grated
- ½ large onion, peeled and coarsely grated
- 100g feta cheese
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 eggs – separated – for the fritters themselves
- Olive oil for frying
- Another 4 eggs for poaching
- A dollop of cream cheese
- Herbs to garnish
- 1. Mix the vegetables, feta and thyme
- 2. Add the flour
- 3. Lightly beat the egg yolks and season
- 4. Add to the vegetable mixture
- 5. Whisk the egg whites till stiff and fold into mixture
- 6. Heat small amount of oil in a frying pan and drop heaped tablespoonfuls into the pan. Replenish the oil as required.
- 7. Fry until golden brown.
- Sandwich two fritters together with a small amount of cream cheese
- Top with a poached egg
- Garnish with micro herbs